Negative introductory verbs

Negative introductory verbs

When we use verbs like think, suppose and believe to introduce a negative idea, we prefer to make the introductory verb negative, not the verb in the that clause:


  • [I think the later train won't be cancelled.]
  • I don't think the later train will be cancelled.  

If we make the verb in the that clause negative, it can express surprise or appear emphatic: 

  • I thought that you didn't eat meat! When did you start? 

We do NOT use hope and wish in this way: 

  • We hope that the reunion won't be too painful for you. 

With verbs such as seem, expect, appear, we use either of these patterns; the meaning does not change: 

  • He doesn't appear to be interested. 
  • He appears not to be interested. 


With introductory verbs such as ask, beg, persuade, tell, urge + infinitive, we change the meaning when we make the introductory verb negative: 

  • The doctor told me not to take the pills. (He said I must not take the pills.) 
  • The doctor didn't tell me to take the pills. (He didn't mention taking the pills.)

[source: Practical English Usage]


FACEBOOK TWITTER TUMBLR PINTEREST
Powered by Blogger.